So do you think that music is a good medium to teach with? I do! I think music can touch ideas and thoughts differently than words or dry textbook writing. Music shows us the emotion of events or facts and can deepen our understanding of them. I think this is an exciting idea and am glad musicians are putting their energy into this. Their popularity will get people's attention too like this article.
As well as responding to the article, please pick a song that you think would be good to use to teach a subject. Say what subject you think the song goes with and what grade level it would be appropriate with and why.
I like the song " there were no mirrors in my Nana's house" by Sweet Honey in the Rock. It is about how black children learned to have pride during times of prejudice before the civil rights movement. I also like the ballad "Country Clare" which is a folk song sung by Nancy Griffiths which is about when the Irish came to America after the potato famine. It talks about the opportunity and the prejudice that they experienced. I think both songs could be used to teach American History to middle and high school students.
Mrs. M
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
This was a very good article. I think it would be very important to teach children more about the music that helped build our culture, besides, thats all alot of us listen to. I chose the song Crazy, by Simple Plan because it talks about how girls obsess over having the perfect model body and dying to be on tv. They won't stop until they've gone as far as diet pills and surgery. It also talks about how parents don't seem to get along at all and it makes kids feel like they are in the middle world war 3. This song would probably be good to teach with in the 7th to 9th grade. It really deals with the issues that are going on in the world.
~Rachael~
I completely agree with this article. I believe music is a very important thing to have in the songs curricula. For most people like me, music really means something to me. If school had more of it , I would like it better. Not only for 1st and 2nd graders but for all grades i might be easier for us to focus. So, 8th graders and up we should almost be able to pick out the music we like to listen to. Also, music have helped us build our culture and be individuals. I chose the song "Right Now" by Van Halen. The song is about doing things right now instead of putting they off. This song helps me consentrate on my homework or my sport or whatever I'm doing at that moment. This song would work well with 8th and 9th graders most likely. Van Halen really gets me motivated.
Kesslea :)
i agree with this article. i really do think that schools should incorperate more with rock and roll. not because i like it, but that really is the american music.with out it we wouldent be ourselves, but all the same. i chose the song unbound, the wild ride by avenged sevenfold it is about not knowing whats gonna happen next except that what gonna hapen to u is controlled by u not by anyone else
spencer
i liked this articale
i agree with what they are saying because not everone likes the music in music class. So if you had more music class with differnt kinds of music, people would learn more then what rhey would have if they were in a class they do not like. i chose the song "morning has broken" by Cat Stevens because it helps me consentrate when i'm doing stuff.This song is good for all ages.
~Stevy~
I agree with the artical. I think that they should teach us about all of the music that is out there it is an emportant part of our colture and people would like to learn more about music than other things. I chose the song Folsume prison by johnny cash becouse it talks about the consiquenses of your actions.
Patrik G. Ely
I think having music as curriculm is a FANTSTIC idea! People can relate to music way more then text books or papers.Music can do so much to you, it can crack open your shell or make you think about why you are hurting inside.The teenage years are tough and sometimes music is all we've got. As we get older music seems to disapear for our everyday learning and I wish it would come back because it makes things so much more exciting.Like when your teacher tells you something it sometimes goes in one ear and out the other but if your favorite band sings it to you it's embeded in you memory forever.I would definitly like to see music more in school.
I picked the song " Stop,Look,And Listen" sung by Jimmeny Cricket from The Mickey Mouse Club(1956). It talks about the dangers of crossing streets and also how to be safe on them. It is a good song for 2nd and 3rd graders. This song is kinda cheesy but it has a good message!!! : }
~ Jocelyn ~
I agree with this article. I think that using music in school is a good way to learn. The song I chose is "The Star Spangled Banner" written by Francis Scott in 1814. This song is played at all major sports events and award cerimonies. This song represents americas history and this great country we live in, "the land of the free and the home of the brave".
-Colton-
I thought this article was interesting and good.
And i also agree, the music should be included in all school programs.
Also music is not just noise its a way of expressing yourself.
The song i choose is "10 Years Today" by "Bullet For My Valentine." This song is about a close friend that commited suiside.
The man gets a phone call saying his best friend is dead. And the man fell appart inside and thought about ending his life as well. The man relized that his friend might be gone but he will always be in his heart and soul. As the man is asking himself "How could you leave us that way?" As he is standing there still sad ten years from that day.
I picked that song because it tells you that some people dont relize what they have untill its gone. And that if you think about commiting suiside or something really dangerous you have to think of how it can affect others as well.
Kierre McCutcheon
i totaly agree with the article i mean i love musiac i dont now what i would do if there was no music. some of my favriot bands are, pantera,lynard skynard,guns n roses, godsmack. But that is just some of them i could tell you all kinds of music that i like. My favriot kind of music is rock and coutry. Like when ever i am bored i will listen to music. I do it for intertanment. I like bands that canplay guitar really good. Like van halen if uhave never heard of him he is like the best guitarest in the world. Lke i said before i totlay agree with the article
,Adam Tappert
I, personally, think that this is a good idea in the category of exciting but I just don't think it's something that would be useful later in life. I don't any songs, seriously, but I think a good subject for this type of learning would be to compare some of the first songs ever created to some of the most recent songs. It would be a good subject for any age group and would be fun to learn about.
Austin B. :)
I agree with this article that music should be involved in the curriculum. And that they should teach people about music, I agree that it would be really useful for our culture to learn more about music. Here is the song I chose. "our song",Taylor Swift
I was riding shotgun with my hair undone in the front seat of his car
He's got a one-hand feel on the steering wheel
The other on my heart
I look around, turn the radio down
He says baby is something wrong?
I say nothing I was just thinking how we don't have a song
And he says...
[Chorus:]
Our song is the slamming screen door,
Sneakin' out late, tapping on your window
When we're on the phone and you talk real slow
Cause it's late and your mama don't know
Our song is the way you laugh
The first date "man, I didn't kiss her, and I should have"
And when I got home ... before I said amen
Asking God if he could play it again
I chose this song because it is saying that a girl wants to know why her and her boyfriend dont have a "song" and he's saying that they dont need an actual song to be like everyone else. I agree with this because couples now days are always worrying about what other couples have like a "song".
( Also because i like that song)
~Emily~
I agree with this artical because I think that schools should teach students about the kind of music people listen to in Amarica. If schools taught kids about diffrent types of music and were it came from might motivate them about school. I chose the song Blaze Of Glory by Jon Bon Jovi because it is about wanting to be someone in life. This song would be good for 6th to 9th grade to get it.
:Drew:
I think that this was a good artical because kids need music also it is a part OF LIFE.I would chose the song
DEAD OR ALIVE
BY Jon Bon Jovi
That song would be good for 5th to 9th graders this is a good song it is fun to play on rockband I chose it because it is a good song.
DAEGEN
I totally agree with this article because music is important. I think it is a better and more fun way to learn in school.
I chose:
Alice In Chains - Rooster
Ain't Found A Way To
Kill Me Yet
Eyes Burn With Stinging
Sweat
Seems Every Path Leads Me To
Nowhere
Wife And Kids And Household Pet
Army Green Was No Safe Bet
The Bullets Scream To Me From Somewhere
yeah They Come To Snuff The Rooster
Yeah Here Come The Rooster
You Know He Ain't Gonna Die
Walkin' Tall Machine Gun Man
They Spit On Me In My Homeland
Gloria Sent Me Pictures
Of My Boy
Got My Pills 'Gainst
Mosquito Death
My Buddy's Breathin'
His Dyin' Breath
Oh God Please Won't You Help
Me Make It Through.
I chose this song because its about this guy going into the army for something to do and he thought it would be fun. He did this because it seems like all of the other paths that he chose in life just led him to nowhere. Now he is regretting going to the army because its not as fun as he thought it was, his friends are dying, and he misses his family. This song would be good for 7th through 9th grade. It teaches u a little about how life is in the army.
DyLaN CoLlInS
I agree with this article that music should be involved in the curriculum. i think it would be important to teach children more about music. i chose the song "i want a Hippopotamus for christmas" this song would probably be for like fourth or 5th graders. this song is about kids wanting different and huge things for christmas but there not always gunna get it, parents are not going to go for something that huge so in the song they say if they get one its gunna eat the kid as a way of saying no.
*chelsi*
The song that I think teaches a good lesson or has a good theme to it is Girl Next Door, by Pink. It talks about how she isn't as good as the girl next door. She is everything she wants to be. This girl is a cheerlaeder compared to her and she is in the band. The girl sleeps on the top bunk compared to her, she sleeps on the floor. So, the reason i chose this song is because girls worry about not being good enough and we are always comparing ourselves to other people. We need to accept who we are and not fantasize about being someone else.
-alicia swindler-
I think teaching through music has good and bad points. The good things: It might keep you from talking to other people if the music is on loud enough. And it could keep you motivated to keep working. The bad things: It might get you unfocused, and listening to the song more than working. I think overall, It's a good idea to let kids listen to music in school. Just as long as it's not on while the teacher is talking. ; )
Anyway, I chose the song "Prayer of The Refugee" By Rise Against. I'm not too into the song, But I love the lyrics. I chose this song because it makes you realise how good you have it. Even if you think it couldn't get any worse, It could if you were a Refugee.
Warm yourself by the fire, son,
And the morning will come soon.
I’ll tell you stories of a better time,
In a place that we once knew.
Before we packed our bags
And left all this behind us in the dust,
We had a place that we could call home,
And a life no one could touch.
Don’t hold me up now,
I can stand my own ground,
I don’t need your help now,
You won't let me down, down, down!
Don’t hold me up now,
I can stand my own ground,
I don’t need your help now,
You will let me down, down, down!
Down!
We are the angry and the desperate,
The hungry, and the cold,
We are the ones who kept quiet,
And always did what we were told.
But we’ve been sweating while you slept so calm,
In the safety of your home.
We’ve been pulling out the nails that hold up
Everything you’ve known.
Don’t hold me up now,
I can stand my own ground,
I don’t need your help now,
You will let me down, down, down!
Don’t hold me up now,
I can stand my own ground,
I don’t need your help now,
You will let me down, down, down!
So open your eyes child,
Let’s be on our way.
Broken windows and ashes
Are guiding the way.
Keep quiet no longer,
We’ll sing through the day,
Of the lives that we’ve lost,
And the lives we’ve reclaimed.
Go!
Don’t hold me up now,
I can stand my own ground,
I don’t need your help now,
You will let me down, down, down!
Don’t hold me up now,
I can stand my own ground,
I don’t need your help now,
You will let me down, down, down!
-Brandon Messinger
I agree that all schools should have some kind of music cruclium. Becuase if the classes are intresting to a lot of the kids, they will get more intrested, and may want a carrer that involes music when they are older. I choose the song "100 years" by "Five for fighting" becuase I really like the song, and it kind of is about moving on in life. Like graduating High School/College, getting a job etc.
~Haley
This article is a great way to reach out to kids because they will be more likely to listen. Music is an everyday part of a child's life and teaching by using music is a very smart idea. Some songs I would like to use are,
"Waiting on the world to change" by John Mayer, which also happens to be the challenge day theme song. The other song I would use is, " Where is the love?", by the Black Eyed Peas. I think that both of these songs could really teach kids a thing or two.
~Katy Ainsworth~
This was a really good article. i personally think that it is very important to include music in a school education. Plus it would make school more fun because a lot like listening to music, and it's a good way for us to escape the real world and relax. the song i chose was "Concrete Angel". I think the meaning of this song is... people who may seem like there is nothing wrong maybe holding back life threatening secrets. Or maybe just secrets.
~cassie~
This was a good article. I agree that schools should have music programs and allow kids to listen or play to something they love. I personally love music and I think it would suck to not have it. Music helps to shape people, show their personality, and represent their background. Music in Africa molds the people...so music is important.
The song I chose was "Whiskey Lullaby" by Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss, because it's about how a mistake can not only affect you but affect some one close to you. The man left for the war and when he returned, he found his love with another man. He pretty much threw his life away from then after and tried to drink to get her off his mind. He commits suicide and the woman pretty much does the same because she feels so horrible. It's sad. But, it shows how, if you get selfish, you can hurt someone so bad. I think this would definately be for 10th grade and older because at our age now, love is not the same thing it will be 10 years from now.
I love the song and the artists!
Katie Fowlds
I think that have music, as a curriculum is a great idea because us as teenagers can relate to some songs like songs about love, life and so on. I think that kids could relate more to music then a big fat textbook and paper. Music can inspire us in so many ways.
I chose the song “ Head shoulders knees and toes “
Because it teaches you the common body parts and is in a fun why to sing it. But over all I think the article was good…
~Mary~
Post a Comment